Whenever I leave anywhere I inevitably have to return for what I forgot. This makes all goodbyes anti-climactic, which in turn makes them so much more bearable. I don't like goodbyes one bit, and often won't even say them in the real world, so why should the blogosphere be different? I used to say, "Thank you so much and I'm sorry for everything," but now I'm not so often sorry for anything.
Anyhow, my son just sent me the link he created for the PDF file of the story I've mentioned several times by Gina Berriault, "Who Is It Can Tell Me Who I Am?"
Don't worry. The title does not mean to suggest a contest. (Although a whole lot of heart-shaped rocks, leaves, pieces of bark, etc., will be awarded to the winner.) Really, I'll figure it out myself, one of these days. Besides, Jung says, "If you get rid of the pain before you have answered its questions you get rid of the self along with it," and I'm not quite ready to do the ladder, Jacob. (Anyhow, didn't Mark Twain say, "Heaven for clime; hell for company"? My Rascal soul knows just where it's going.)
Even though it's not a contest, it is, however, a test. As in, if you ever plan on being my friend again in any Mixed Reality you'd better read it or else I'm not going to play any more. I'll take my teddy bears and go home. So please read it and tell me if I'm wrong, that it's a profoundly moral tale.
My son says it's a file on Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded for free, if you have a mind to. Let me know if you can't access it and I'll either send it or personally hand-deliver.
Thanks, Nathaniel Daniel Glockenspiel - I love you with every beat of my ticker.
4 comments:
well, you can take your teddy bears if you choose .... and yes, i suppose a 'moral'can be drawn from the story - probably by more morally minded people than I.
For me it is a sad portrait of humanity: because Dario was exactly the same as the homeless boy with TB .... yes, on the 'outside' - the parts the world see, their lives appeared to be radically different - one having more comfort and security than the other.
but truthfully, they both were lonely men, living lives in familiar daily patterns, sensing meaning but never finding it, and both heading for death as we all are.
in other words: strip us of our outer 'skin' and underneath, we all look alike:
human
lady blue
LBT (Blue? Tourmaline? I'm all confused here, and now fear I'm making you sound like a dyslexic sandwich order - my apologies),
For me it isn't sad at all. I love that Perera moved from his fear to his deepest, most compassionate self, though without being in the least sentimental about it. Stories and movies of such soulfulness make me glad to be alive, and on this planet (I otherwise miss my own). Planet, that is.
So, I shall happily leave my teddy bears at your house and visit again - I hope many times.
I love your sensibilities, by the way - your thoughts, sayings, and poetry. It's very nice to discover such beauty in the blogosphere.
xoxo, Cynthia
yes, i was just discussing this tale with my mother tonight. And she too, pointed out the compassion of Dario - how it grew for this unknown man. But I could not help but remember the extreme fear of Dario's each time the young man entered his office .... and wondered at times if his offerings were part compassion part fear ...
and in the end, were his gatherings of 'gifts' the product of his loss of his unknown friend. a loss because he said NO to a man in need ....?
blue .... yes, i am back to blue here, dear cbb ..... you are leaving and it makes me sad. i'll hold onto the tourmaline until you return.
xx
lady blue
I had to stop reading after "borne up the marble stairs by all those uplifting thoughts in his pockets."
This is too good. But not the right vibe for me right now.
In other words: I Shall Return on another day to Perera and Dario and the boy with the glowing hair. Thanks for arranging the intro.
Post a Comment