Saturday, March 8, 2008

Sunset Orange


When my children were little we used to "chase the sunset." We would pile in the car at the first glimpse of orange, and go barreling down the road headed for the closest view, hoping to arrive in time to witness Emily Dickinson's "ribbon at a time."

These days it is with Karma the Beloved Dog that I chase the sunset, although occasionally I will call one or the other of the kids and urge them to hightail it to the nearest good view of the horizon.

Anyhow, as to the above photograph, there are certain sunsets at which I have to remind myself, as Dave Barry always insisted, "I am not making this up." The above was one. Such florid excess, such (nearly) histrionic beauty makes me laugh, makes me weep. Makes me think I should spend the rest of my days chasing the sunset, waiting for sunrise.

2 comments:

Diane Dehler said...

I loved this post and it brought back memories. When my daughter was small she would run as fast as the wind, down the Berkeley Pier trying to catch the sun before it would set. I have a vivid image of her long strawberry blonde hair set ablaze and her arms flung wide.

cbb said...

Isn't it wonderful how those moments can be so imprinted on our hearts! I recently dreamed that "heaven" (which otherwise consciously has no significance for me) was a place where I could revisit any wonderful moment in my life. The Berkeley Pier moment sounds like one for you. I'm glad you called it to mind!