
Last weekend Vashon Winery, on an island near here, hosted a story-telling and wine-tasting event featuring Michael Meade, a mythologist and story-teller who was very active, along with Robert Bly, James Hillman, and Coleman Barks, in the men's movement in the 80s and 90s.
We boarded a ferry for the 15-minute ride to Vashon Island, pictured as we approached it below,
and proceeded to have one of the most exhilarating evenings of my life in the only barn I know

with such a fine chandelier,
and an equally fine vintner (and poet), Ron Irvine.
It is a grave disservice for me to try to distill all that Michael conveyed that evening, but, in a phrase, he makes a profound connection between the process of making and drinking wine and the evolution of one's soul. In Sufi terminology, the heart is known as the qalb, and "the individual’s body is the physical dimension of his or her existence, while one’s heart constitutes its spiritual dimension. For this reason, the heart is the direct, eloquent, most articulate, splendid, and truthful tongue of the knowledge of God."
The physical body houses the ego. The heart is connected to the Divine. And there is an ancient association between the breaking of the skin of the grape and the breaking down of the ego, in order to discover the Divine. In Greek mythology, a parallel analogy is drawn. Apollo's function is to maintain limits/control/ego, but Dionysus's task is to dissolve boundaries, to move from order to chaos to a new order, one of the many processes of creation, individuation, dissolution and recreation of self across a lifetime. This moment of inviting the Dionysian moment - drinking the wine - was a moment of honoring all that preceded and honoring all that will proceed. It is a magical, liminal moment, inviting the most profound of insights into the nature of the Divine, but is very much fraught with the dangers of riding a tiger, as shown in the picture at the top.
Michael, whose most recent book is The World Behind the World, read the poetry of the 12th and 13th century Persian poets Hafiz and Rumi, who speak of the the Divine Ecstasy that is always present for all of us to connect with through poetry, love, virtue, and wine.
Certainly for me, before that evening, I have never had a glass of wine with such a sense of the sacredness of drinking. I hope that I shall never take another sip of wine without that consciousness. Baudelaire famously ordained, "One should always be drunk," but he misunderstood the two-fold purpose. Yes, to drink wine permits enduring the pain and a sort of revelry, but it also offers reverie, an insight into Divine Ecstasy.
Among the quotes I scrambled to take down that evening, while basking in a sublime glass of the 2002 Anniversary Reserve Red, are these:
~ There are risks the soul waits to take.
~ Safety is being in the right risk.
~ A false sense of security is the only one there is.
~ Guilt does not ferment.
~ God is the only one who should be put on trial.
~ Morality is what happens when there is no love present.
~ We are the cup into which the Divine wine pours.
~ The real world is Divine.
~ The world has a soul.
~ I have fallen in love, with someone who lives inside you.
And finally, in honor of Lee's River, and all who strive to understand and dance away their pain, the following words.
~ There is a God who only knows four words - Come dance with me.
That's a God whose dance card I'll happily sign up for.
In sum, it was a supremely uplifting evening, and made me wish that many of you, my readers, were there. It was the very reminder I needed of the redemptive power of suffering - that in that process of breaking down our defenses and egos we ferment/create a transcendent self, a fine wine, that helps us discover the Divine in every moment of our lives. I have long believed there is a purpose for our struggles in life, but I have never invited the struggles, the sorrow, the anguish - I have endured, and have created meaning, but never made a toast both to the Agony and the Ecstasy.
After hearing Michael Meade, however, I think that I can welcome what Life has to offer, in all its many vicissitudes, and make a toast with each glass of wine with a L'Chayim that I mean now in a very different way than before this evening.
Finally, I love that for all the sublimity of the occasion, the last thing I saw as I left the barn was the following profane and hilarious sign.
L'Chayim, blogger friends.
13 comments:
Safety is being in the right risk/ I'll drink to that.
Santé!
L., but don't quote me quoting him. That was toward the END of the very fine glass of Reserve, and who KNOWS what he actually said!
Thanks for dropping by. I'll return the favor when I regain my senses.
What a very wonderful evening to make one jealous CBB!
"A book of Verses underneath the
Bough, A Jug of Wine,
A Loaf of Bread, and
Thou Beside me singing in
the Wilderness-- On, Wilderness were Paradise enow!" (Khayyam)
Thanks for your visit (poem is still a draft --revised yet again)
PS: I remember some query about an owl... just a fond name for the beloved.
Wordcrafter, I have queried you like crazy, lately, so I hope you track back on your comments. And it WAS a lovely evening. I truly did wish everyone I knew (and even those I don't actually know) could be there. He has a slew of books and CDs, however, so if you go to his website, www.mosaicvoices.org, you could order second-best to being in the same room with him.
And now to sleep. Good night, and thanks for stopping by... zzzzzzzzz
C.
CBB thanks, will check it and since you are fond of Rumi too, here is a recommendation: "Hidden Music" (by Maryam Mafi and Azima Melita Kolin) - a modern interpretation of Rumi by a very dear friend and beautifully illustrated by another. Sweet dreams.
This is my kind of evening, a smallish crowd I'm guessing.
There are risks the soul waits to take.
I haven't read that book by Eckhart Tolle, but I've heard people quoting from it just twice and both times the quotes spoke to me. Also I heard Christian's thoroughly denouncing the book, one of those things I guess I'll have to look into! Have you looked at it? I would value your review of it.
Wordcrafter, I DID have sweet dreams, and actually slept through the night for the first time in weeks - so thank you for your kind invocation.
And I just ordered the Mafi book - thank you for that as well. I thought Coleman Barks had pretty much cornered the market on Rumi translation - it will be interesting to get a women's perspective. Rumi got me through one of the most difficult of my life passages, a divorce, and now I'm discovering Hafiz, thanks to that evening.
What lovely literary circles you live in - it makes me happy for you... (and here I would put a smiling emoticon if I knew how to do so)...
Bob D.,
Yes, smallish - exactly my cup of tea (or glass of wine) as well. I don't take to being outnumbered. There were about 30, I'd say. Very intimate little gathering in that little barn. Find something like it near you soon, is my recommendation.
I'm so glad you liked the tree video.
I've only read 'The Power of Now,' and I think it was very powerful. I seem to need to READ these wise things in lieu of LIVING them at times, which worries me about myself. But at least to read the words and catch those fleeting glimpses of how to be so much saner and more conscious than I am - ahhhhhh.
Let me know what you think if you do read it, okay?
Bob D.,
Well, now I'm wondering if the soul "waits" or "wants" to take is correct. I wrote the former but I'm remembering the latter. Both work, of course, but with slightly different implications.
So take those risks, soul, or wait. Both are good.
C.
I popped over here from squirrel's place (nyack) as you wrote you live in gig harbor and was wondering about doing a daily photo blog....squirrel was my inspiration and I just started one for the town I live in (lakewood, ohio)...it's quite fun. I actually registered my blog with city daily photo as they have monthly themes and a couple of the daily city blogs I visit are registered (chuck in seattle and iblowfish here in cleveland)...
I have enjoyed cynthesis a great deal and look forward to more nibbles. you live in the part of the country that I would like to live in.... I'm quite familiar with the area as my best friend of 35 years has been living in washington state for 29 years.....
nice photos....and nice to see friends in common in your blogroll!
Very nice post.
I've always loved wine, but have been paying more attention to it since Bob Mondavi passed away. I did a little obit for him on my blog, and toasted him with a Mondavi Fume Blanc--not realizing he invented the term, Fume Blanc.
The world has a soul is something my parents really impressed upon me.
Kimy, thank you for stopping by and for the info about Daily Photo. I'm wondering if my eyes are bigger than my stomach where it comes to adding another helping of a blog, but I do like the idea of honoring where I live...
And yes, the Pacific Northwest is a glorious place to reside. I've done so for 21 years, though I'm originally from back East (upper NYS) and loved that region too. Still, if you have the least inclination to explore this area... it is its own heaven... Nice that you have a friend here as well.
Yes, we do have blog friends in common, wonderful ones. And it is very nice to make your acquaintance as well as...
...Chedwick's,
So thanks to you for stopping by as well. You perfectly capture feline life, a world I miss what with having a dog (however much beloved) in tow. And I'm thinking, does your species and your love of wine thereby make you a felinenophiliac (that, in case you think I've lost my mind, is oenophilia and felineophilia combined).
All right. So I HAVE lost my mind. Welcome to my wacky wordy world anyhow!
tardigrades are a tough little species. Saw a program about them on Arte-tv once. They survive radiation, extreme heat and extreme cold (this last by doing a neat trick called cryobiosis where they pump out most of the water in their body and replace it with a kind of antifreeze - what WILL nature think of next?)
Post a Comment