It is a sad coincidence that earlier today I wrote in part about birds. One of the few remaining posts left on Lee's River's remarkable blog is the beautiful "Le Peuple Migrateur" video accompanied by Nick Cave singing "To Be by Your Side." It is clearly her goodbye, taking her brilliant, passionate, hilarious, erudite and deeply thoughtful blog with her.
We come and go in each other's lives all the time, every day, even those with whom we appear to stay - the inevitable migrations of the heart, as Pascal knew so well, in which The heart has its reasons that reason cannot know.
I have no way to make sense of the loss of what is beautiful and good, other than to vow to honor it in my heart and memory.
Godspeed to those journeying on. May you return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I think of the book "A Gathering of Angels" which is about bird migration. I think of the miles they go. Lee will find a new migratory path.
regarding the effect--I was taking a picture of a shop window, (a table with religious statues) and traffic was going past, so it caused glare and movement. Then I darkened in in iphoto (very simple) and then sharpened it up there too. I sometimes make a copy of a picture then go crazy messing around with it. It's fun, esp. as other art programs are too time consuming for me now. iphoto is just the basic photo program, so it's easy.
Bob,
I just located the book you mentioned from Cornell Press. By odd coincidence, I also learned of another bird book yesterday, "The Verb 'To Bird'" by Peter Cashwell which also sounds good.
It is good to hear you say Lee will find a new path, but I'm having a hard time letting go. It's very odd to feel attached to people I don't really know... that has surprised me about blogging.
I use iPhoto sometimes too, but never with such good effect. My son insists I could learn Adobe Photoshop, but I may need a brain transplant or steroids or a visit to Lourdes or something first.
I loved the book RED TAILS IN LOVE and I think there was a sequel. I liked it so much I re-read it a year later. I found some old nature stories books at a flea market, some were sad, but they were all about human interaction with very smart birds and animals.
There was also a story about a guy with a pet crow who lived in Maine. He raises the baby but teaches it that it has to go someday and it does.
Ched, thank you for that recommendation which I am definitely going to find a copy of, Nature being among the best consolations. Still, I can't help but wish there was something we could actually DO in this situation. I'm so confused about what is appropriate action here. I wish I were bolder and more confident. Do you ever read stories about humans who actually grow up and know what to do?
Aargh. But thank you for writing.
Hey guys: flying on a different wind current, that's true but still flying by when I can.
Good winds to you. See you later
incredible vid....thank you cbb (and homage to lee's river - somehow I missed that post)....
RLB, how good to know you'll still find your way westerly. May you as well be blessed with the gentlest, most salutary of zephyrs!
Kimy, I love the video too. Our lives are less rich without a daily dose of Lee's River...
Post a Comment